Sunday, September 28, 2008

Tren de Vino...the wine train

I decided to take the wine train yesterday, as I know my weekends are going to start flying with only two months remaining, well a little more than two months. My family has already started planning weekends, so I thought, if I am going to take this train, I might as well do it this weekend since we don´t have any plans.

One of the English teachers works on the wine train over the weekends as an English guide. So, I told him I was coming. I woke up in the morning just a little late. I couldn´t remember what time the trian left, but I figured I still have planty of time to catch the bus to San Fernando. I ended up taking a mini bus, as I had taken one before from San Fernando and it was just as fast as a normal bus....but, evidently, I don´t know enough about mini buses. I got on the world´s longest mini us ride, I think. We went through just about every community along the way to San Fernando. It was pretty though. The country side has changed so much since I first arrived here.

Well, eventually, we arrived to San Fernando. It was a bout 10:15 and I was thinking Cesar told me the train left at 10:00, but I was hoping he said 10:30...and on top of that hope I was hoping we were running on CHilean time. :)

When we arrived at the bus station, it was a different bus station than I had known before. I got off and ran to the first vendor I saw, asking her where the train station was. Luckily, it was only a block away.

I found Cesar and he told me to get on the train. I had to confess to him, I only have 15,000 pesos on me because i am running late and I figured this was a large tourist attraction and that I could use my credit card. (which I couldn´t). He says, we will be ok...just get on the train.

Well, I was on the train, but I wasn´t sitting easy because I didn´t like the idea that I didn´t have the money to be there and that no one was going to ask me about my money until the train started moving. I know Cesar said it would all be ok...but, I was still nervous.

The train was beautiful. It was an old steam engine train. There used to be a train that ran the length of CHile, but between lack of money and earth quakes, it fizzled out. Now, it is a tourist attraction that runs in the valley. After the train, people get off and take a vineyard tour, have lunch, or whatever they have bought in their package.

Well, the Manchester group got on the train and I had to move. These people were on a tour and I was in their seats. I sat in another section and all was well. Cesar finally came up to me and said, you are fine, you pay 15,000 pesos. Ok, I felt better.

I watched the scenary as we pulled out. The guide was giving a little history of the train and the valley while the other guides were handing out wine glasses for tasting. It seemed a little early for tasting wine...but, oh well.

Another man who works on the train, came and presented himself to me. Said thank you for coming on the train, as he knew I was a friend of Cesars. Then, he went about his job. While we were waiting for the tracks to change, he came back and said, very quietly, I have a seat for you up on VIP if you are interested. I felt very guitly, being that I hadn´t even paid full price for my ticket and now I was being moved to VIP? Ok...sure.

The VIP car was your typical dinning car. White table clothed tables, cloth napkins, and wine glasses. On each table there was a tabla of cheese, fruit, nuts, and crackers. I had a table to myself, but some other guides joined me as we started moving along.

We tasted wine from one of the local Vineyards. There was a group of university presidents from the states on board and I chatted with them breifly. They were on their annual meeting and had a free day to tour. I met the guy who changed the name of Mankato State to Minnesota State University. They were all very nice.

Before I knew it, we were back in Santa Cruz being welcomed by a local group of singers and dancers...more cueca!

When I got home, I was in time to learn how to make Cardonada...my favorite dish! yay! It was a nice day.

No comments: