Friday, July 4, 2008

You want me to dance?

So, Chilieans are really good at doing things on the fly, or making things up as they go.

I went to school on Monday and Cesar said he would like to put on a little 4th of July presentation as a cross cultural learning exeperience. Ok. Cool. So, I go to his class, where they are writing up a little bit of a geographical description of the US and a little history. He has some students working on a dance routine to the twist, which was cute.

Then, at the end of the period he says, be ready for a little rock-n-roll dancing.
I looked at him and said, excuse me?
He says, yeah, you and me will do a little dance to Jailhouse Rock.
In front of the whole student body and staff, you want me to dance?, I questioned, Don´t you think we should practice or something?
Oh no, we will be fine, it is just for fun, he says.

Ok, well Wednesday, as I am leaving school, he says, are you ready to dance?
I look at him and say as ready as I will ever be, of course I said this with a smile.
Then he says, alright, so the students will do the introductions, then you will say something about your country in English and in Spanish.
Oh, I looked at him, you want me to say something too? Ok.

Well, yesterday, all went well. I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest though. We did our little program right after second break. We did the program from the balcony of the first building...so, it was a bit intimidating to look down on a crowd of people. When I got up to speak (which I had to prepare and was very happy I had, because right now I am wondering, did I really read everything...did I skip any lines?) I was so nervous, my hands shook just a little bit. Then, I did my dance with Cesar, which went well. The students enjoyed it, so I guess that is all that matters. A little practice would have been nice, as I am not a good follower when dancing with pairs, but oh well...


I was planning some lessons with Ana this week and we started talking about learning spanish and she said something about TV and news. I thought she was saying I need to watch more TV, but then something about her saying, that will be next week, so you will be on the news.

I looked at her and said, excuse me? What did you just say?
She says, oh, they want to do a little something on you being here and you will say something about the program and why you are here...
So, they are going to be filming me ?
Oh yeah, but that isn´t for a couple of weeks.
But you just said it was next week.
Next week the week after, whenever you are ready.
Oh. K.
She says, it is just local news, so only Santa Cruz.
I say, yea, but that is 20,000 + people.
People will see you walking and say, hey, I saw you on TV.
I don´t really want everyone saying they saw me on TV.

So, it sounds like I might be on the local news next week or the week after. Ok...I am learning to just roll with things and not get to worked up about time and preparations.

2 comments:

Nadine said...

Jami - Being on TV is nerve wracking but fun! Just go with it and it will go by REALLY fast! Good Luck!!

Love ya!!

Tiffany said...

Oh my gosh, I am cracking up! I was just telling Teri today how disappointed I was that you hadn't updated your blog recently. She looked at me funny and said you had been . . . turns out that when I click on your link on my favorites, it goes to the same page I favorited a month ago rather than the most recent page. Needless to say, I'm catching up and laughing out loud! I love the humor you inject . . . keep it up! Any chance you'll be back in time to be a small group leader this fall???? :) Kidding. Hope you're having a great adventure!Tiffany